Administrative Tools and Resources

Prerequisite Course Waiver Form (via Adobe Sign) – This form is required for all students who want to take a mechanical engineering course (ME prefix), but either the registration system does not recognize a prerequisite or the student is missing the prerequisite but has relevant knowledge that will allow them to succeed in the course they want to take. Note that mechanical engineering students who are requesting a waiver of a prerequisite for a required mechanical engineering course are not likely to be approved. Please make sure to apply for the waiver to the lecture instructor with the section number you want to add, not your lab.

Special Problems Form (via Adobe Sign) – After the form is signed by your instructor and department chair, you’ll receive an email so you can download the PDF. If you are approved to use ME400 for technical elective credit via this form, you need to attach the signed form to a course substitution request to get the credit on your transcript.  Start the course substitution process at:

Time Conflict Request (via E-Form) – This request form will be sent directly to your major College Advising Center upon completion.  You must use this request form to ask your Advising Center to begin certain Office of the Registrar forms on your behalf.

ME Lab Access Request – The purpose of this form is to start the process by which a student may gain access to ME Laboratory Facilities for authorized project work (e.g., senior project, MS thesis, etc.). This form will collect data that will be stored to track access requests. Please fill out the form as accurately as possible. Before you begin these forms, you will need to know the names and emails of both your Project Advisor and the Lab Facility Coordinator (a list for lab facility coordinators can be found in Part 1). 

When you have finished with Part 1, please proceed to fill out Part 2 (which will generate an AdobeSign form to be routed for signatures). Before filling out Part 2, you are encouraged to communicate with the Lab Facility Coordinator to start the process to complete any necessary training to be approved to work in the lab.  

Part 1 – Lab Access Survey

Part 2 – Lab Access Authorization Form

A request to hire an ISA must be made by faculty/supervisor. The form will not be processed if submitted by the student.

Hiring Process:

Faculty submits a Student Hire Request: Faculty: ME ISA Student Hire Request Form

ME office will proceed with hiring once the Hire Request Form is submitted and initiate ASE 101 and ISA 101 paperwork.

Forms will be routed to students, faculty and department chair for approvals via AdobeSign.

If you are a new student employee, you must meet with Payroll Services no later than your first day of employment. Once you complete your section of the hiring form in AdobeSign, a Payroll staff member will contact you to schedule a virtual Zoom intake. Please Note: First time student employees are required to completed a Student Employment Request Form, documents to complete an I-9 and their original Social Security Card no later than the first day of employment for pay. Students who have already worked at Cal Poly are not required to fill out any forms to be hired into concurrent or subsequent positions. You cannot be paid for any time prior to this intake being completed. For more information: Students – Payroll Services – Cal Poly

Getting Paid:

Steps to Complete:  

Enter hours worked on the online timesheet located at: Please note: the SA timesheet is different from the ISA timesheet. Be sure to click on the correct link in your portal for access to your online timesheet.

Use the screen print function of your web browser to print/download a copy of your timesheet. Please name your file: LastName_FirstName_Time Period

Submit timesheet to your department for faculty approval using the ME ISA Timesheet Approval form

Once you have entered your hours through Payroll AND completed the office online form, your hours will be approved and your hours for pay will be issued within the regular pay cycle.

Calendar deadlines for entering time (published calendar) 

Late Timesheet

If you miss the deadline to submit hours using the online form, you will need to submit a late timesheet and your pay period will be interrupted. Late ISA timesheets that are submitted to Payroll Services by the 15th of the month are paid on approximately the 25th. Please email the completed late timesheet to your faculty and the office.  Faculty will email back with approval and then the office will submit the form to payroll for processing. Late Student Timesheet and Instructions.  

If you are currently enrolled in a project, refer to the following information to learn about the processes. For more information about ME senior project administrative procedures, please contact:

Brenda Flood
Phone: 805-756-1334

Senior Project Student Success Guide (PDF)

Tracking Expenses: Use this budget template (Excel) to plan and track your expenses throughout your entire project. Make sure you stay within your project’s budget. Keep track of all your invoices and receipts.


Option A – Sponsor Purchase: (preferred method for external sponsors) Have the company or organization that is sponsoring your project purchase the supplies/materials you need for the project and ship them to you at the Mustang ’60 Machine Shop.

Option B – Cal Poly ProCard Purchase: If you have funds managed by the ME dept, you can have Brenda Flood purchase your items using a department procurement card (ProCard).  Note that you may ONLY use this process if:

        • Your project has funds managed by the ME dept.
        • You are NOT purchasing on eBay (ProCard may not be used for eBay).
        • Your purchase is less than $2,500.  Anything over $2,500 needs to be processed as a purchase order (contact Brenda Flood,

The process for requesting a ProCard Purchase is:

    • (1) Complete a ProCard Purchase Request Form(Excel).  On the form:
        • Be specific about the items (item number, description, quantity) and source(s).
        • Clearly state your Project Number (e.g. F53) and a descriptive title.
        • All required fields must be completed.
        • If you have any special discounts, clearly state how to get them.
        • If the vendor allows you to save and send a link to a ‘shopping cart’ (e.g. at McMaster-Carr), please do this and include the link (it saves a lot of time!).
        • Use this shipping address:
                 Your Name (& e-mail address & cell number)
                 1 Grand Avenue
                 Cal Poly Mustang’60 Machine Shop
                 San Luis Obispo, CA, 93407
    • (2) Update your Project Budget Sheet to include past and current purchases (including taxes and shipping costs).  State your original on-campus budget and calculate the total amount remaining.
    • (3) Email your Approver:  If your project has an “Approver” (see the list in Purchasing Info on Canvas), email your Purchase Request and Project Budget to your Approver and ask them to forward these back to you approving the purchase. [skip this step if your project has no “Approver”]
    • (4) Email your Advisor:  Forward the Approver’s response with the two documents (Project Budget and Purchase Request) to your project advisor and ask them to forward these to Brenda Flood at with their approval.  Please include the words “Purchase Request” and your Project Number (e.g. F22) in the subject line.
    • (5) After your advisor forwards your request, Brenda will place your order and notify you by email.

Option C – Cal Poly Reimbursement: If you have funds managed by the ME dept, you may choose to make small purchases from local vendors and request reimbursement.  Note that you may ONLY use this process if:

        • Your project has funds managed by the ME dept.
        • You are making small (<$100) purchases at local (not online) vendors.

If the above are true, follow this process:

    • (1) Check with your Advisor (and Approver, if you have one) in advance to get pre-approval to make the purchase.
    • (2) Complete your purchase.
    • (3) Complete the Reimbursement Request form (PDF).   Clearly state your Project Number (e.g., F53), Project Name, and Advisor.
    • (4) Scan itemized receipts/invoices for your purchases.  If you are missing a receipt, please fill out a Lost Receipt Form.  All receipts must include the following information:
        • Date
        • Vendor or payee name
        • Amount paid, showing shipping (if applicable) and tax
        • Proof of payment (cash, credit card, check) with Balance $0.00 or Paid in Full
        • Description of the item(s) purchased.
    • (5) For credit/debit card purchases, scan a copy of your bank statement or a screenshot of the charges on your credit card (any personal information may be blacked out).
    • (6) Email your reimbursement request and all required documentation (reimbursement form, receipt(s), copy of statement) to Brenda Flood at  She will route the packet to your advisor for electronic signature and on to the appropriate financial offices.  Reimbursement Checks typically take 2-3 weeks to be processed and issued.

Note the following before planning travel:

All travelers will be required to sign the “Traveler’s Acknowledgment of Risk Guidance,” accepting the risk of COVID-19 exposure.

All travel needs to be approved by your Faculty Coach prior to submitting your pre-authorization. There are different allowable expenses depending on the project you are working on. As a general rule, only mileage is reimbursed for driving trips.

For driving over 150 miles round trip, it’s generally more cost effective to have the department rent a car for you to drive.  Ask about this option (but DON’T rent a car yourself!).

Mileage is not generally reimbursed for local trips (less than 50 miles round-trip).

Please follow these directions for planning and completing your trip:

(All forms must be filled out electronically.)

  • Before your trip: At least 1 week prior to travel, each person traveling should complete Travel Pre-Authorization Form and the Traveler’s Acknowledgment of Risk Guidance., then send both documents to Brenda Flood (
  • If you are driving your own car, you must also have an Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business (PDF) on file.  Must be renewed annually.  Fill out and submit with your first trip.
  • Within 10 days from the return of your trip:
  • If additional expenses have been approved prior to travel:
    • Attach all receipts for items over $40.  Receipts must show the final cost, itemized list of what was purchased, provide proof of payment (shows how was it paid) and include the date of purchase.
    • If any of the above information is not included on the receipt you must submit proof of payment in the form of a bank statement (any personal information may be blacked out).
    • Lost Receipt Form must be turned in for missing receipts for any amount greater than $40.

For guidance on filling out the Travel Claim Form please review the Travel Claim Guide (pdf). All items highlighted yellow need to be answered.  Hover over the highlighted area for details of what to include.

For more information about university travel policy and reimbursement rates, see the University Travel guidelines.

All international travel must start with the International Center.


All financial transactions must be run through the club treasurer/budget manager, allowing them to record the deposit or withdrawal.

Provide the correct funding information. Errors cannot be corrected (ie. using your IRA fund instead of letting us know this was meant to be a Senior Project purchase or a CP Connect purchase).

Cal Poly is NOT tax exempt, state taxes will be applied. 

If a vendor requests a W-9, please contact the ME office.

Cal Poly’s fiscal year is July 1 – June 30.

To request a trial balance, transaction list, or question, please contact ME office. 


Your club treasurer or president should be the only person making a cash/check deposit.

Please schedule an appointment with ME office to make the deposit.

Be prepared to verify the cash and/or checks totaled.


Every March, the dean’s office sends out information to the clubs to remind them to renew their IRA. Detailed information, along with the forms, can be found through Academic Programs’ website:

Work directly with your faculty advisor to complete the IRA renewal application.

Turn in completed applications to the ME office. The department chair’s signature will be obtained for your club and then submitted to the dean’s office.

IRA allocations are deposited into your club’s fund between September – October.


If you receive a check donation to your club, bring the check to the ME office in 13-254 to complete a gift form and have the check deposited into your club account.

If your club has been offered a physical gift, (gift-in-kind) please contact the ME office before you accept a physical gift.

If you would like a list of donors who have given to your club, please contact Elise Erb in advancement in the CENG Dean’s office (192-310)


Brenda Flood, Administrative Analyst
805- 756-5586
Bldg. 13-254  

Eric Pulse, Mustang ’60
Machine Shop Supervisor
Bldg. 197-117

Jim Cullins, AERO Hangar Supervisor
Bldg. 13-128 & Bldg. 4

Request to Register: The ME Department requires any club that plans on competing or attending an event to complete a Request to Register form.  This form must be submitted 2 weeks prior to the competition/event registration deadline. The request will be reviewed internally and the club contact will be notified via email with approval or denial to register for their competition/event.
Travel Pre-authorization Form: This form is required for each traveler (minimum) 2 weeks before a trip.
Traveler’s Risk Acknowledgment: Include this form with your Pre-authorization.
Travel advances: Make your request on the Pre-authorization form. When your check has been issued you will be emailed to pick-up the advance at Payment Services, Bldg. 001-129.  Photo ID is required to pick up the check. Travel advances are not reflected in the club’s budget until the travel claim is processed.
Prohibited States: Effective January 1, 2017, AB 1887 prohibits state-funded travel to states that have enacted a law that voids or repeals any existing state or public protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression or have enacted laws that have the effect of voiding or repealing any of these protections. 
Travel Claim Form: Each traveler who incurs expenses must complete a Travel Claim form within 10 days upon return of their trip. This includes those who received a travel advance.  Please fill out the claim and email it to the ME office to be routed for signature.  We ask that all original receipts are attached to the Reimbursement form found in the ME Office or through your treasurer.
Claiming Mileage: If you are using your own vehicle for a university-related trip, per the CSU-wide travel policy, you must claim mileage.  
Airfare: Your club has the option of using the CSU-wide travel agent, Christopherson Business Travel for airfare. Charges for airfare are billed directly to your club account. To use this option email the ME office the following:

Name of each traveler (provide the full name that appears on driver’s license or passport)

Each traveler’s date of birth

Departure date

Preferred time of day to depart

Airport you wish to depart from

Airport you wish to fly to and the same for the return.

Vehicle Rental: Your club has the option of using the CSU-wide travel agent, Christopherson Business Travel for vehicle rentals. Charges for vehicle rental(s) are billed directly to your club account. To use this option email the Me office the following:

Name of driver(s)

Type of vehicle

Pick-up destination

Time of day to pick-up and the same for the return.

Reserving a Charter Bus: Your club may directly book with the list of Bus Charters contracted with Cal Poly. Please DO NOT pay for a bus charter yourself.  Always have Cal Poly send a check for payment to the bus company on behalf of your club after the trip has been completed.

Vehicles available to reserve:

10-passenger Chevrolet van

4-5 passenger Chevrolet Silverado truck

Trailers available to reserve:

10-ft trailer

24-ft trailer

Each Vehicle Reservation Request must be emailed to the ME office a minimum of 2 weeks before trip.

Department vehicles are reserved on a first come, first serve basis.

Driver’s forms must be completed before the reservation can be confirmed. Allow 2 weeks for processing driver paperwork.

One set of driver forms are required for each fiscal year for each club member who intends to drive. Note: If you are a student shop tech, you do not need to fill out the forms again.

Vehicle keys can be picked-up from the ME office, 13-254. The Vehicle Calendar wil l be checkedto make sure you have been cleared to take the vehicle(s).

If you have the vehicle(s) for more than 1 day OR the vehicle gets dirty, we ask that you please wash and vacuum the vehicle and drop off with a full tank of gas. The department reserves the right to charge the appropriate club for gas, vehicle wash or vacuum should any of the vehicles be returned empty and/or dirty.

*Sunset North Car Wash on 2110 Broad Street, SLO offers their Original wash – vacuum and wash for $25.99

If a vehicle is being dropped off outside of normal operating hours, there is a key drop outside of 13-128. Please drop the keys there.

Driver Forms: If you have club members who are driving their personal vehicle, driving a vehicle rental or driving one of our department vehicles on state business, then that person will be required to submit driver paperwork. The following forms will need to be submitted no less than 2 weeks prior to traveling. Note: These forms are submitted annually and only need to be completed once. If a student tech is in your club, then they do not need to complete the driver paperwork because they have already done so.

Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business

Volunteer Identification Form

Request to Operate Vehicles on University (State) Business NOTE: A copy of your driver’s license needs to accompany this form

New Mandated Reporter

For more information about university travel policy and reimbursement rates, see the University Travel guidelines.

OPTION 1:  Complete a Purchase Request Form (excel) to have the office purchase your requested items with the department procurement card. Email completed request to the ME office.

Please read through and follow these directions:

Clearly state if this is for a club or thesis project.

You may use one form for multiple vendors.  Please group items from same vendor together on the form.

If you have the option of assigning a shopping cart, please use that option and put that link on the purchase request and/or send shopping cart/wish list to the office. Utilizing the shopping cart feature ensures accuracy.

If you need to have an item manufactured uploading your own files/specs, please set up your account with the company and add in all information for the order up to the point of payment.  Then submit a purchase request with all corresponding information for the order (login and password if needed) or share a shopping cart.  The office will complete your order by making payment.

Many vendors sell their products on Amazon so instead of using multiple vendors, with multiple shipping charges, check Amazon for availability.

Home Depot does not allow for certain items (lumber) to be purchased online, they must be bought in-store.  If you need to purchase an item in person use Option 3 below.

Printing Shirts with logos or Cal Poly branding: Follow the directions at University Brand – Trademark Licensing (

Orders will be placed by the office as soon as possible.

The least expensive shipping rate will be chosen unless indicated otherwise.

When planning your overall project budget, please remember that taxes and shipping will be added to the final cost. The office does not track your budget, it is the students responsibility to keep track of all costs.

When your order has been placed, you will receive an email confirmation from the office. All emails from the vendor regarding your order (confirmation, shipping, final invoice) will be forwarded to your Cal Poly email.

Ship-to Address: Your packages will be delivered to the Mustang ’60 Machine Shop, 197-114

Due to the sheer number of orders placed in the office it is the students responsibility to keep track of any items on backorder and contact the office immediately when an issue arises.

OPTION 2: Have the company or organization that is sponsoring the club or project purchase the materials needed utilizing their own funds and sent to you.

OPTION 3:  (Only to be used if the first two options are not available). Student purchases project materials utilizing their own funds and request reimbursement.  Please hold all receipts and wait to submit for reimbursement until your project purchasing is complete.

If you are utilizing State Funds: Reimbursement Form. The office will fill in Chartfields on Step 4. You will receive an email when your reimbursement check is available for pickup in the ME office.

If you are utilizing CPC Funds:  Cal Poly Corporation Check Request Form. The office will fill in Org Key and Object Codes. Your reimbursement check will be mailed to you.

Please number and attach itemized receipts/invoices (photo or scan is acceptable). They must include the following information:


Vendor or payee name

Amount paid, showing shipping and tax separately

Proof of payment (cash, credit card, personal check)

Description of the item(s) purchased

Attach proof of payment in the form of a bank statement or a screenshot of the charges on your credit card (any personal information may be blacked out).

If you are missing a receipt please fill out a Lost Receipt Form.

Please submit a Hospitality Form with your reimbursement request if this is for an event/hosting.

Email form and all required documentation to the office to be routed for signature approval and submitted for payment processing.  

RETURNS / ISSUES WITH YOUR ORDER:  If you need to return an item, please first contact the company regarding their return policy.  Once you have the information needed to make the return, email the office with the details.

MUSTANG ’60: To set up paying for CNC machining in Mustang ’60 you will need to contact Bryan Neill, acting CNC Supervisor. He will evaluate the machining needs and assign you a shop tech.  The tech assigned to you will complete the proper paperwork and send the bill to the ME department for processing when the work is completed.  You will need to provide:

Student name, phone, address, signature

Org key or fund number for billing

Please refrain from buying any material before talking to the tech you are working with. Considerations could need to be made for holding the material in the machine beyond the outer dimensions of the parts themselves.